CAB Session Dates (only one left!)
Sunday, November 10th 12:30pm-4:00pm
CAB Students should come with one Shakespeare monologue that is memorized and ready for feedback and coaching, AND one additional classical monologue that you are thinking about tackling or are hoping to know better.
Are you preparing for college conservatory auditions; thinking about trying out for your high school’s play; or just looking to conquer your classical monologue and walk in to any audition with confidence and swag?
Chicago Youth Shakespeare’s Classical Audition Bootcamp is designed for high school students who are serious about their Shakespeare and are looking to nail their next audition. Learn how to choose and prep material, own the audition room, and "speak the speech” like a pro!
Sign up for one of three CAB sessions for a chance to workshop your classical monologue in small masterclass setting, and receive individualized feedback and coaching from CYS Artistic Director, Manon Spadaro. Students should sign up for one session only. Maximum enrollment: 5 students per session
Specific areas of focus include (but are not limited to):
- Choosing a monologue that is right for you and right for the audition
- Tips for putting together successful college pre-screens and video auditions
- Knowing how to walk in the room (yes, this is a thing), and slate like a pro
- Unpacking the text to make the words make sense
- Finding (and accessing) the "moment before" at a moment's notice
- Transitioning between contemporary and classical pieces like a pro
- Re-focusing any pre-audition nerves to work for you and not against you
- Using Meisner Technique to take your character prep and performance to the next level
CAB Registration Fee: $120
Interested students in need of financial assistance should contact Manon Spadaro at firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Bard Birthday Contest
Congratulations to the winner of our 2019 Bard Birthday Contest, Mario Hurtado!
Mario won with a rap he wrote inspired by one of our favorite plays, Macbeth! We were so impressed by Mario's lyricism in the rap and how he used both modern language and Shakespeare's words. You can read it at bit.ly/BBC19Win and maybe you'll even be inspired to write a rap of your own!
Special thanks to Cristo Rey Jesuit H.S., Chicago, IL for promoting the contest to their talented students, and to everyone who participated!
BBC Rules: Create a work of art inspired by Shakespeare* that you are able to submit in a digital file. It could be anything -- a painting or drawing, lyrics to a song, a poem, a piece of instrumental music, a short story, a video of a performance -- as long as it is somehow inspired by the Bard!
Are you a teacher who wants to advertise this opportunity to your students? Email email@example.com to receive a printable flyer to hang in your classroom!